How to clean a flat screen monitor and a CRT display.
Computer screens are prone to dust and fingerprints!
This tutorial will show you how to clean your LCD
or CRT screen.
The method for cleaning a monitor is very straightforward and can be completed in a few minutes. The LCD instructions are also suitable for cleaning the screen of a tablet PC.
Before cleaning your monitor disconnect the monitor from the power supply and the computer.
In the case of a laptop or notebook screen ensure the system is turned off and remove the battery.
How to clean an LCD screen (flat screen)
What you will need:
- a soft anti-static cloth for the plastic casing (if required).
- a microfibre* lint-free cloth.
- suitable cleaning fluid for the monitor's plastic case.
- suitable LCD screen cleaning fluid or distilled water**.
- cotton buds
* microfibre cloths (fig 1.1) can be found in automotive and electronic stores. A good substitute would be the soft cloth used to clean eyeglasses, or in an emergency a very clean old pure cotton t-shirt. Never use paper products like tissue!
** for some screens the water may be mixed with isopropyl alchohol for stubborn marks BUT always check the manufacturers instructions for your particular model. If in doubt and suitable LCD screen cleaner is not obtainable use just water, preferably distilled.
- If you are going to clean the monitor's casing do it before you clean the screen. Spray the anti-static cloth with a suitable cleaner and wipe the monitor's casing to remove any dust. Be careful not to touch the screen with the cloth or cleaning solution.
- To clean the screen gently wipe the dry microfibre cloth across the surface of the screen in straight lines to remove any dust.
- If there are stubborn marks put some of the LCD cleaning fluid (or water) onto the microfibre cloth and gently clean the area (never spray fluid directly onto the LCD screen always apply it directly onto the cloth).
- Use the cotton buds to clean the edges and corners of the screen.
- Ensure the screen/monitor is completely dry before use.
Cleaning a CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitor
What you will need:
- a soft anti-static cloth.
- a lint-free cloth.
- screen cleaning fluid (glass cleaner is usually ok).
CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitors can be cleaned in much the same way as conventional tube televisions.
- Use the anti-static cloth and a suitable cleaning fluid for the plastic casing of the monitor.
- Spray the screen cleaning fluid onto the lint-free cloth (never spray directly onto the screen) and wipe the monitor's screen in straight lines.
- Ensure the monitor is completely dry before you reconnect the power.
Share on your social networks